Power BI vs Tableau
Data analytics and data visualization have become the key attributes in a world that views data as a valuable resource. As an increasing number of tools enter the market, competition ramps up. To remain competitive, a single tool must be designed to deliver a combination of qualities such as brand recognition, ease of use, and product cost. Do you want to know which tools exactly match these benchmarks? Let’s discuss Power BI vs Tableau in this article along with its remarkable features.
What is Data Visualization?
Data visualization is a process of graphically representing information, showcasing trends, and patterns in data and assisting the user in gaining quick insights. It employs visual elements like charts, graphs, and maps. Data visualization tools enable users to recognize and comprehend data trends, anomalies, and patterns easily and effectively.
Tools for data visualization are computer programmes that provide information for data analysis in a graphical form, such as graphs, charts, or heat maps. These tools make it easier to comprehend and use vast amounts of data. Google Charts, Tableau, Power BI, MSBI, Grafana, FusionCharts, Datawrapper, and ChartBlocks are some of the best data visualization tools.
Get expertise in dashboard creation in our Data Visualization Courses in Chennai at SLA.
What is Tableau?
Tableau is a rich data visualization tool with one of the fastest-growing markets in the business intelligence sector. You can employ it to convert complicated raw data into a format that is highly clear. With Tableau, data processing happens quickly, and the visuals are produced to take the form of worksheets and dashboards. This aids experts in comprehending the data produced by Tableau at any level of a company.
Tableau provides customized stunning visualizations, but the majority of its advertising is geared toward corporate settings with data scientists and larger budgets. There is a public (free) edition of the tool with limited functionality. The more you pay, the more Tableau features you have access to, including standardized data from external parties. The software also comes with a non-profit tool and academic versions.
Key Features of Tableau
These are some key characteristics of Tableau
- Blending of data
- Required less technical expertise
- Instantaneous analysis
- Data notifications and data collaboration
- DAX function for analysis
- Stanford University technology with a patent
- View switching and drag-and-drop
- Native data connectors list
- Identifying and filtering data
- Publish dashboards
- Embed dashboards within dashboards that are mobile-ready
- Using Tableau Reader to view data
- Dashboard remarks
- Construct “no-code” data queries.
- Query to visualization translation
- Import all data sizes and ranges.
The Products of Tableau
The following are numerous Tableau product categories:
Tableau Desktop : You may code and customize reports using Tableau Desktop, which has a wealth of features. Create the necessary work in Tableau Desktop by first building the charts, and reports, and then combining them all to create a dashboard. The produced workbooks and dashboards can be shared privately or publicly.
Tableau Desktop Personal : The development features of Tableau Desktop Personal are comparable to those of Tableau Desktop. The workbook is kept secret and only certain people can view the personal version. It is not possible to publish the workbooks online. Therefore, it has to be published either offline or via Tableau Public.
Tableau Desktop Professional : It resembles Tableau Desktop in many ways. The work produced in Tableau Desktop can be published online or on Tableau Server, which is the difference. Additionally, the Professional version offers complete access to any data type.
Tableau Public : This is the version of Tableau designed specifically for people on a budget. stored in Tableau’s public cloud, which anybody can view and access. The files saved to the cloud have no privacy because anyone can access and download them. For anyone who wishes to learn Tableau BI, this edition is the finest.
Tableau Server : The workbooks and visualizations created in the Tableau Desktop program are shared throughout the enterprise via Tableau Server. You must publish your work in Tableau Desktop before sharing dashboards on the Tableau Server. Only authorized people will be able to access the work once it has been uploaded to the server. The Tableau Server does not necessarily need to be installed on the computers of licensed users, though.
Tableau Online : It is an online sharing facility for Tableau, as the name would imply. Similar in functionality to Tableau Server, but with cloud-hosted servers that are maintained by the Tableau group for data storage. The amount of data that can be published in Tableau Online has no storage restriction.
Tableau Reader : You may view workbooks and visualizations made using Tableau Desktop or Tableau Public using Tableau Reader, a free tool. The security level with Tableau Reader, however, is 0 because anyone who has the worksheet can use Tableau Reader to access it.
Join our Tableau Training in Chennai with IBM Certification at SLA
What is Power BI?
Data from multiple data sources may be transformed into interactive dashboards and business intelligence (BI) reports with the aid of the business intelligence and data visualization application Power BI. After the data has been cleaned and integrated, Microsoft Power BI is a business intelligence solution that lets you manage data from many sources and gives visualization. Additionally, it has an Ad Hoc report production tool that aids in data analysis.
Power BI makes advantage of already-existing Microsoft platforms including Azure, SQL, and Excel to create cost-effective data visualizations. For individuals who already use Microsoft products like Azure, Office 365, and Excel, this is a fantastic option. For SMBs and startups who want data visualization but don’t have a lot of additional money, it’s also a reasonably good low-cost choice.
Key Features of Power BI
Here are Power BI’s key characteristics.
- Adaptable dashboards
- Pane of navigation
- Box for Q&A questions
- Buttons for help and feedback
- Reporting and analysis on demand
- Processing Analytical Data Online (OLAP)
- Trendspotting tools
- Authoring interactive reports
- Comprehensive tools for complete reporting and data visualization
- Real-time dashboards that aid company owners in resolving issues as they arise
- Provides embedded Power BI and an Azure service that enables applications to communicate with Power BI
- The Power BI Q&A tool enables users to ask questions in natural language and receive responses in a particular graphical format.
- Content Packs: for team sharing of dashboards
The Products of Power BI
Several essential Power BI products are listed below:
Power BI Desktop
Power BI Desktop is the primary publishing tool for Power BI. It is used by developers to build entirely new models and reports from scratch.
Power BI Service
Power BI service is a Software as a Service (SaaS) that is hosted online and houses Power BI data models, reports, and dashboards. In the cloud, management, sharing, and collaboration take place.
Power BI Data Gateway
Between the Power BI Service and on-premise data sources including Direct Query, Import, and Live Query, Power BI Data Gateway serves as a link. It was set up by BL Admin.
Power BI Report Server
It handles Power BI Desktop reports, mobile reports, and paginated reports. Users can change Power BL reports as well as other reports made by the development team.
Power BI Mobile Apps
Power BI has a mobile app for Android, iOS, and Windows devices. It can be managed with the support of Microsoft Intune. You can access reports and dashboards on the Power BL Service Report Server using the utility.
Power up your career through our Power BI Training in Chennai with Placement Assistance at SLA.
Comparison Between Tableau and Power BI
Every company has a unique set of objectives and aims designed to boost sales and steer growth in proper directions. We will go over some significant instances where there is a stark discrepancy between Tableau and Power BI. Let’s compare the two to see which of Power BI and Tableau are superior.
|Comparison Factor||Tableau||Power BI|
|Cost||Tableau is costlier than Power BI. The cost of a Tableau Pro subscription per year is more than $1000. The monthly fee for using Tableau Creator is USD 70.||Compared to Tableau, Power BI is cheaper. The cost of the Power BI Pro version’s annual subscription will be close to $100. Due to limited resources, startups frequently choose Power BI over Tableau before switching to Tableau when needed.|
|Data Visualization||The best in the business at data visualization is Tableau. Users can create distinctive dashboards that work with a number of gadgets.||Easy drag-and-drop functionality is provided by Power BI to provide beautiful visualizations inside reports and dashboards.|
|Deployment||Tableau includes more virtualized and on-premises choices than any other deployment option, making it the most flexible. Tableau performs well when there is a lot of data being saved in the cloud.||Despite having both on-premises and cloud versions, Power BI is only compatible with Azure on the cloud.|
|Complex Data Handling Power||Large amounts of data are optimal for Tableau. Tableau is therefore advised when the use case demands working with a huge data store.||When confronted with large amounts of data, Power BI has the propensity to lag. Performance suffers when there is a large data store.|
|Functionality||When it comes to data-related questions, Tableau outperforms Power BI. This indicates that Tableau provides significantly more intricate ways to work on data that is more comprehensive.||When compared to Tableau, Power BI doesn’t provide as many capabilities.|
|Integration||Tableau outperforms Power BI in terms of slightly different integration. It can be connected effectively with a variety of databases, including Hadoop databases. Tableau also automatically recognizes the resource.||Hadoop databases are inaccessible to Power BI. It works well with Azure, Salesforce, and Google Analytics.|
|Support to programming tools||All popular programming languages work seamlessly with Power BI and Tableau. R and Tableau integrate considerably more smoothly.||The R and Power BI interaction should be better. It can be connected using an external program called Microsoft Revolution Analytics, which is easy for enterprise-level users.|
|User Interface||Tableau is used to create stunning, customized dashboards with a simple user interface.||Compared to Tableau, Power BI is significantly easier to understand and has a more user-friendly design. Therefore, because Power BI is so straightforward and easy to use, businesses frequently choose it over Tableau.|
|Support and Community||Bigger Community||Smaller Community|
Advantages of Tableau
Following are the advantages of tableau
- Less expensive training
- Visualizations can be produced quickly and easily.
- Excellent client service
- Data Interpreter Narrative skills
- Tableau provides a visualization feature.
- It aids in combining, shaping, and cleaning the data for analysis.
- It makes it easier for you to manage plenty of data.
- Avoids performance for complex table calculations by using scripting languages like R and Python.
- Enables users to utilize Tableau Desktop to generate reports, dashboards, and stories.
Disadvantages of Tableau
Following are the disadvantages of tableau
- Fairly high price
- Versioning or change management is absent
- When compared to other tools, It is costly.
- Custom visualization import can be challenging.
- Not provides simple ways to integrate reports into other programs.
- Only major organizations that can afford the licensing fees should use Tableau.
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence are not supported by the tableau.
- Other Microsoft products including Power Apps, Dynamics 365, Office 365, and Microsoft Flow, which makes use of Single Sign-On, are integrated (SSO).
Advantages of Power BI
Following are the advantages of Power BI
- Power BI offers in-built reports and dashboards for SaaS solutions.
- Update the dashboard in real-time.
- Access to your on-premises or cloud-based data sources that is reliable and secure
- Several options exist for connecting databases Online Q&A sections are available.
- A variety of tools are available in Power Query to clean and organize data.
- Querying data using natural language.
- Dashboard visualization feature
- Integration of graphics with both Python and R scripting.
- After publishing the data into Power BI, the web service can automatically schedule a refresh.
- ML and AI supports Power BI
Disadvantages of Power BI
Here are the disadvantages of Power BI
- Users with the same email domains are the only ones who can access the dashboards and reports.
- Data accessed through real-time connections and imported data will never be mixed together by Power Bl.
- Power BI will support files up to 1 GB in size.
- User, account, or other entity parameters are never accepted or passed by the dashboard.
You can tell which tool will benefit you more from the comparison of Microsoft Power BI and Tableau above, of course taking our needs into account. A user who is not a data analyst will favor Power BI over Tableau because the latter requires more work to understand and is less intuitive. Therefore, Power BI excels in terms of usability and simplicity. However, Tableau is the preferred option when it comes to efficiency and ability to handle complex data. With Tableau, customers can build high-quality visuals with no spending restrictions, ideal for medium- to large-sized businesses.
Get access to unlimited lab hours at SLA for the Best Tableau Training in Chennai.