Frequently Asking Interview Question and Answers
We will look at software testing interview questions which you will face in your interview in this post. If you go through all these questions in a diligent manner, you stand a chance to come out in flying colors in your interview.
Get Software Testing Training from Experts. Call us @ +91 86087 00340 for a free demo session!
Software Testing Interview Question and Answers
- What is Software Testing?
- Define SDLC & its Phases?
- Define PDCA ?
- Difference between Manual and Automation ?
- WaterFall Model ?
- Levels of Testing ?
- Defect Leakage ?
- Error Guessing ?
- UAT Testing & Its Types ?
- Difference between White Box and Black Box ?
- Difference between Functional and Non Functional ?
- Difference between Retest and Regression Test ?
- Define Unit Testing ?
- Define Database and its Properties ?
- Difference between QA Testing and QC Testing
- Why Software Testing ?
- Techniques of White Box Testing ?
- Techniques of Black Box Testing ?
- Sample Testcase For Duster ?
- How to Create, Use database ?
- What is Join ? Mention Its Types ?
- Define Performance Testing ? And Its Types ?
- Define Testcase & Templates of Testcase ?
- Bug Life Cycle?
- Explain Diagrammatic Representation of Manual and Automation ?
Software Testing is a process of finding the defects in the developed application.Its a cyclic process until the products become defect free.
SDLC is step by step process to improve quality product.
PLAN: What are the things to be tested.
DO:Planned activities executed.
CHECK :Planned activities executed or not.
ACTION: Mismatch between plan and do, Then necessary action must be taken to correct it.
|MANUAL TESTING||AUTOMATION TESTING|
|100% presence of tester required||Tool will perform|
|More Time||Less Time|
|Less Accurate Result||More Accurate Result|
|High Risk||Low Risk|
|Low Reliable||High Reliable|
|Programming Knowledge is not required||Programming Knowledge is required|
- It is a linear sequential model.
- fall from upper level to lower level it is called waterfall model.
- There is no overlap.
- One way process.
- Difficult to add changes. It is suitable in small and low budget.
- Unit Testing.
- Integration Testing.
- System Testing.
- UAT Testing.
which is used to identify the efficiency of the QA testing i.e., how many defects are missed / slipped during the QA testing.
Defect Leakage = (No. of Defects found in UAT / No. of Defects found in QA testing.) * 100
Defect Leakage = (40 /100) * 100 = 40%
Error Guessing is the experience testing based on their experience guess the error.
This is done by customers to check whether the application meets the business requirements.There are two types
(i) Alpha testing(ɑ)
(ii) Beta testing(β)
Also known as inhouse testing.This is done by customers on the development environment side.The developers ,project managers& business analyst evaluate the software to ensure the business requirements.
Also known as pre-release testing done by customers on the customer environment side
|White Box||Black Box|
|Done by Developer||Done by Tester|
|Unit Testing||System Testing|
|Test condition is derived from program logic||Test condition is derived from client requirement|
|Accept the internal structure of the application||Ignore the internal structure of the application|
|Programming and implementation knowledge’s is required||Programming and implementation knowledge’s is required|
|To check the whether the application accepts the valid input and giving the correct output.||Testing the quality attributes for an application. Eg. Performance, compatibility, usability, recovery, security and so on.|
|Functional testing is done prior to non-functional.||Follows the functional testing.|
|Functional testing is done manually and using tools but manual testing is easiest way.||It is done by using tools.|
Retest Test :
Re executing the failed test cases, check whether the defect is fixed or not.
Regression Test :
It follow retesting, Re executing the passed testcases code changes made unexpected side effects.
Regression testing is done in 3 scenarios
(i).After fixing the defects (ii).After adding any new functionality
(iii). Environmental Changes
- Done by developer.
- Executing each and every line and finding the error before sending to the testing phase.
- Unit testing is initial level of testing or starting level of testing.
Database is used to store the data. It is a collection of tables. Tables contain No of Rows and Columns.
Atomicity : This means that even if a single part of transaction fails- it means that the entire transaction has failed.
Consistency: A transaction will always result in a valid state of the DB
Isolation: If there are multiple transactions and they are executed all at once, the result/state of the DB should be the same as if they were executed one after the other.
Durability: Once a transaction is done and committed, no external factors like power loss or crash should be able to change it.
|Quality Assurance||Quality Control|
|The project manager will document the SRS||QC testers will test the s/w product based on SRS.|
|Defect prevention method||Defect detection Method|
|Process oriented team test coding in document||Product oriented team execute the product & test it|
Generally human beings makes mistakes. Mistakes are expensive and dangerous.
- Statement Coverage
- Decision Coverage
- Path Coverage
- Equivalence Class Partitioning
- Boundary value analysis
- Decision Tables
- State Transition Table
- Error guessing
- Verify whether the duster is manufactured to the required size and weight.
- Verify that the duster is comfortable to handle while rubbing on the black board.
- Verify that the duster cleans the board to the required level.
- Verify that the duster should have the ability to clean the board with as much less effort as possible.
- The rubbing medium should have optimum wear rate and the life of duster should be satisfied for the user.
Create Database Syntax : Create database Databasename
Use Database Syntax : Use Databasename
SQL Joins clause is used to combine records from two or more tables in a database.
- Inner Join
- Left Outer Join
- Right Outer Join
- Full Outer Join
- Cross Join
- Self Join
Checking the response time of an application
Before testing any software, it is necessary to analyze the aspects that has to be tested and what actions to be performed to verify those aspects and compare the actual result with expected result.
Templates of Testcase :
- Test Case ID
- Test Item
- Test Description
- Expected Result
- Actual Result
It is a process of finding the bug and reporting it to the concern developer for fixing it, retesting it regarding original defect & this process is known as bug life cycle.
Hope you find these interview questions useful. Go through them carefully; they not only help in revisiting what you have learned but also will help you to face the interview with confidence.